Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bringing Micex Back

A few weeks ago I wrote a post about the Moscow stock exchange, and how it's called Micex, which sounds like "my sex."  Well according to the stats from Blogger, it got about ten times the hits a new post normally gets. 

You might thing that's just because it was one of the few posts I've written that prominently features the word, "sex."  But not necessarily.  In the past, the stats have claimed that I get a lot of traffic coming from Russian sites.  So I wondered if it was interest in Micex itself that was driving the popularity.  But when I looked at the breakdown of visitors by country that day, most of them were either from the U.S. or France. 

So my guess is that it really was the references to "sex" that caused the extra visits.  Mentioning sex in a post generates traffic, because people search for sex.  Yep, that's what people use the Internet for, sex.  That's what's on their minds, sex, sex, sex. 

Why it was so specific to those two countries, I don't know.  We always thought of them as being opposites when it comes to their attitude to sex.  But now we've seen France's division over gay marriage, we realize that they share more with the Americans than you'd expect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment