Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Knees Of Fire

I was relatively late in going from a desktop computer to a laptop.  So even as the world moves on to tablets and smartphones, I'm still getting used to the laptop.

For one thing, the heat this thing generates is really noticeable this time of year.  It takes away from my heating needs in winter, but if you actually want to use it on a lap, it can get uncomfortable this time of year.  I notice that fashionable lengths for shorts have increased with the popularity of laptops.  Coincidence?

And then there is the seating position.  If you're going to sit with it on your lap, you're limited to sitting there, legs together, facing forward.  No crossing the legs or slouching.  At least we'll be promoting a generation of good posture.  Though one of these days I'm going to dislocate my thumb reaching for the touchpad.

So how will tablets affect us?  Aside from a return to 70's short shorts, we'll be able to tolerate much more heat in our fingers.  And they'll discover a new form of wrist injury caused by trying to reach for the middle keys of the virtual keyboard without dropping the tablet.  Maybe they'll name that after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment