Friday, July 19, 2013

Aiming Low

One day you’re walking down a city street, when you notice the camera from the local TV station is pointed your way.  You take it as a compliment - they’ve picked you out as TV-worthy - but then you notice that the camera is too low.  You start to warn the camera man, excuse me, I think you need to adjust the tripod, I don't think you're going to get my head in the shot. Then you realize with a shock: they’re filming you for a story on obesity!  You're going to be one of the headless overweight people they show while telling viewers about the latest stats on poor nutrition!  You berate yourself, why did you let the gym membership lapse, why did you have to wear your distinctive Blue Oyster Cult T-shirt that all your friends will recognize?

At least I’m assuming that’s how it happens.  Or maybe they just take stock footage of people walking around, edit together all the overweight people, and crop it so you can't see the heads.  But I’d like to think that they have to go out and intentionally film from the neck down.  That means that occasionally someone must notice the camera, get angry and attack them, leading to bizarre, neck-down fight footage.  I’m off to find it on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment