Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I ♥ Over-analysing Minutiae

Today i saw a minivan with a tiny little "I ♥ Europe" bumper sticker.  (If your browser choked on that last sentence, that's "I <heart> Europe.")
  • I don't really understand how people decide to put on bumper stickers.  Sure, there was a time when it was common for a station wagon to have a collection of stickers chronicling the family travels.  Today you don't often see that, but occasionally you'll see a car with, say, one lonely Niagara Falls bumper sticker.  I can't figure out what inspires those people. There you are in the gift shop at Niagara Falls, looking at the snow globes and Inuit sculptures, and then you say to yourself, I think I'll immortalise this day with a bumper sticker.  But more amazing is that you don't change your mind on the way to the car.
  • Why would you buy such a vague sticker?  It's not, "I ♥ Luxembourg" or whatever country he actually went to.  No, it's commemorating that he likes the whole continent.  You can't even find people in Europe who like the whole continent.  And I don't remember any "I ♥ North America" bumper stickers at Niagara Falls. 
  • Part of the great tradition of bumper stickers is to commemorate road trips.  It helps to explain how they get on the cars: permanently telling everyone you went to Rock City may seem like a good idea when you've just been there, but not so much a week later when you're back home.  But this guy must have bought the sticker in Europe, flown home with it, then at some point hiked out to the garage to stick it on the minivan.  Meanwhile, I can barely be bothered to put the license plate stickers on my car.
  • I can't believe they have bumper stickers in Europe.  Don't they get sucked off the car on the autobahn, or vandalized by Dadaists or something?  Though that would explain why it was a particularly small - to fit on their tiny cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment