Saturday, January 5, 2013

Come Back, All is Forgiven

Today during the football games we've been seeing ads from CatholicsComeHome.org, which seems to be a public relations push by the Catholic Church to encourage lapsed Catholics to return to the church.

This was some of the most surreal television I've ever seen.  I couldn't help but think of Neal Stephenson's sci-fi classic Snow Crash, which takes place in a future where pretty much every organization in society has come to resemble a chain of stores.  Governments, churches, organized crime: they're all just store-fronts at your local strip mall. And now here's the Catholic Church advertising for your business on TV and on-line.

Perhaps it was because I saw it during football, but it reminded me of the ads for the schools at halftime of college football games.  They quickly impress you with their history and try to wow you with their achievements.  When they showed a clip of the Pope at the end of one of the spots, I expected him to deliver some sort of tagline, "Come back to Catholicism.  We'll leave a candle on for you."

And it just gets stranger when I actually go to CatholicsComeHome.org, and find that these ads are called "evangomercials™"  (yes, complete with the trademark symbol.)  I have to admit, I was impressed at how non-pushy the web site is.  Speaking of bucking Catholic stereotypes, I was also impressed that the one ad made a case for their connection to science, showing footage of a chemistry experiment, all overlooked by a priest who seemed straight out of a Dan Brown novel.  They exaggerated a bit when they claimed to have invented the scientific method. 


But I'm still wondering: Why now?  Is it because it's the start of the year, and people have made resolutions?  Or maybe it's because Notre Dame is in the National Championship game and that has them feeling they have the religious momentum.  Imagine what would have happened if Mitt Romney had won.

Speaking of which, perhaps the Mormons could have used this kind of PR.  They have done many commercials, but usually just with universal be-nice-to-each-other messages.  Maybe if they'd made the case for themselves, the religious right would have warmed to Romney.

So I guess this is a good thing: I'd encourage more open, polite discussion of what each church claims they can provide for their followers.  I especially can't wait to see similar ads from Protestants, Islam, Richard Dawkins etc.  And if you have a problem with the Catholic ads, just remember: at least they aren't coming to your door.

No comments:

Post a Comment