Monday, January 7, 2013

Cheque? Please!

It's about this time of the year that someone asks, "Be honest, what year are you writing on cheques?"  I always want to respond, "1998 ... since that was the last time I wrote a cheque.  It's called the Internet, look into it."

But seriously, I do have to write cheques sometimes, and when I do, I never get the year wrong.   See, the last time I needed to order new cheques, it was just before the turn of the millennium, and the bank was apparently trying to get rid of the cheques with the year marked as "19__".  So even though I ordered a book of 50, they sent me a box of 500.  That was around the same time that electronic banking and direct withdrawals meant that I started using the chequebook only once or twice a year.  So I will never order new cheques again.  And I already know that when I go into the old-folks home, and I write the cheque to pay for it, I'll have to cross out "19" before writing "2063."

No comments:

Post a Comment