Monday, June 11, 2012

Len Me Some Sugar, I Am Your Neighbour

Is it just me, or has "Steal My Sunshine" been on radio/musak a lot suddenly?  I know, it's a hot June, it's the appropriate time for a song so associated with summer.  But it hasn't been this heavily played since it was in the charts.  It's as if someone suddenly decided we had collectively gotten over being sick of it.  

It's weird how old songs can come and go in popularity.  I think it has something to do with how heavily programmed radio is now: if the focus group likes a given song, it gets rotation on all that conglomerate's radio stations.

Perhaps they also try out old, over-played songs to see how people react.  About a year ago I was surprised to hear "Hey Ya" in a supermarket.  I haven't heard it anywhere since, so I guess it's still too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment