Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Odd Trash Analyzed

Litter is so prevalent in our world that I long ago stopped even noticing it.  That's pretty bad, but now there's so much litter that I find myself starting to noticing the freakish, exceptional trash.  For instance, I don't even see fast food wrappers discarded by the side of the road.  But every now and then, something more unusual stands out, like an empty can of tomatoes.  How did that happen?  Someone was driving by, and threw it out a window?  A pedestrian just finished twenty-eight ounces of tomatoes and dropped the can?

This concept came up a few days ago I was in H&M, and noticed, on the otherwise clean floor, one goldfish cracker.  I don't spend a lot of time there, but I find it hard to visualise someone eating crackers of any sort in H&M.  If anything, I'd find it easier to believe someone was having soup and the goldfish was only an accompaniment.

Once, while waiting for the elevator in my building, I noticed a banana peel stuffed into the ashtray that had been re-purposed as a garbage receptacle.  Why would that be there?  Either someone was eating a banana while leaving their apartment, and were so rushed that they couldn't stuff the last couple of bites into their mouth, or someone was eating a banana while coming home, finished it just before arriving at their apartment, and couldn't be bothered to carry it the fifty feet from the elevator.



No comments:

Post a Comment