Thursday, April 13, 2017

I Hope Melissa McCarthy Was Free This Weekend

White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer got into trouble this week for his attempt to compare Syria's dictator to Hitler. He tried to say Assad is even worse, because he used chemical weapons against his own people, unlike Hitler. It was quickly pointed out that Hitler was quite famous for gassing his own people, even if it wasn't on the battlefield.

I'm amazed at how not-angry I am at this. After all, it has the classic Trump attrocity characteristics:

  • It's incredibly agressive
  • It's not true
  • It has racist undertones
  • It's from a guy who's clearly in over his head

So why can't I get angry at this? I'm sure it's partly because Trump vs. Assad is one of the few fights where I'd back Trump. But the main reason I'm not feeling the hate towards Spicer is that in this incident, normalicy seems to have reasserted itself.

Sure, the infraction may have been classic Trumpism. But as they say on the Internet, you'll never guess what happens next:

  • A journalist corrects him immediately.
  • Spicer admits he was wrong
  • The media concentrates on the story, without some tortured attempt at false equivalence
  • Spicer continues appologizing, rather than doubling down.
  • Others with an interest in supporting Trump don't look the other way.

Wow, it's like the good old days of 2014. So, much as I would have liked to see Spicer resign, or come to some personal revelation about his life choices, I'm actually coming away from this feeling better about things.

No comments:

Post a Comment