Thursday, February 2, 2017

The Country Of The Mind

I just saw a car with a "Kingdom of Ealdomere" sticker on it. I had no idea what that is, but after years of geography-related quizzes on Sporcle.com, I knew that wasn't a real country, and I was pretty sure it was entirely made up.

So I looked it up, and found that the kingdom is a production of the Society for Creative Anachronism (renaissance fair people.) It seems that merely dressing up in period clothing isn't enough anymore, and they've actually crafted their own medieval kingdom. Members hey appointed to various roles within this land, even rotating the Monarchy through the membership.

I guess that's a good way to allow folks to participate even when they're not getting together. You could interact online using Ye Olde Snapchate . So, ironically, this is a modern take on re-enacting.

That begs the question, why isn't there an opposite of renaissance fairs? You know, a place where people dress up and act like they're in the future. Okay, I guess you'd have to get everyone to agree on what sort of things are in their collective pretend future, and that will probably take longer that the event itself. It's faster to just go to a Star Trek convention where everyone already knows the rules. I never thought of it that way before: the past is like a big pop-culture franchise, and historians and war re-enacters are their Trekkies.

No comments:

Post a Comment