Wednesday, August 5, 2015

50-50 Relationships

There's been ads on TV for a dating site aimed at older people, called OurTime.  I was worried at first that I might be old enough for the service. The people on the ad all looked a little older than me, but then I remembered that people always see themselves as younger than they are, so they must be the same age as me.



But no reason to worry: it turns out they aim at 50+.  So I can continue to think of myself as young, while I strike out on mainstream dating sites.

I was also worried about how these people were talking about it:
  • It's nice to be on a site where gentlemen are looking for someone my age.  Of course, referring to them as "men" or "guys" might help.
  • You're matched with someone with the same likes and values.  Is there really a big cultural gap at age 50? Sure, there's a declining value placed on alcohol, but that happens fairly early in adulthood. On most issues, young people make more sense to me.
  • I feel like I'm back in high school.  That was the real headscratcher.  Do they know how few people really liked high school?  Or did it occur to them that being lonely in adulthood may correlate with not doing well socially in high school. They then show a good-looking well-groomed man say that he got a "flirt" within minutes of joining, thus confirming that it is, in fact, just like high school. 
So it's a relief to know that I don't have to worry about the shortcomings of mature dating sites for a few more years, by which time I'm sure they will have fixed everything.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, I got an age of 26 on the guess-your-age-by-your-opinions quiz I linked to.

    ReplyDelete