Tuesday, June 2, 2015

What Else Is In A Name?

Lots of people are taking about the Vanity Fair cover featuring Caitlyn Jenner. If you somehow missed the story - I assume because it was intercepted by your computer's "Kardashian Filter" - she was until recently known as Bruce Jenner.

It's been pleasantly surprising how the public has been quite supportive of her. Other than the usual suspects, the media has been complimentary, and respected her requested name and pronouns.

But I do have one problem with all this: as a Jason, I'm very sensitive to the fact that names come and go in popularity. So I find it quite incongruous when I see a 65 year-old woman named "Caitlyn." I have to carry around a sign of my age on every ID, and you shouldn't get a free pass just because you're transgender. So I purpose that we establish the rule now at the dawn of transgender acceptance: you have to choose a name that was popular at the time you were born.  That's all I ask, then I'll wholeheartedly support you, Mary Jenner.

No comments:

Post a Comment