Friday, November 28, 2014

Seen One, Seen A Mall

Today was Black Friday.  No, I didn't buy anything.  It wasn't a matter of principle, I just didn't need anything, and the advertised prices at Canadian Black Friday sales just didn't seem trample-worthy to me.  Apparently the concept is spreading to other countries too.  The British started getting into fights over limited quantities in stores today too.  That didn't seem to happen here: I saw a sensationalist news items about consumers camped-out in line waiting for stores to open, but it ended with them all walking calmly into the store without incident.  It was the most Canadian thing I've seen in a long time.

As you can see, I did take note of the news today in a fiendish desire to see the annual customer stampede stories.  But ultimately they were disappointing. Sure, we got to see people yelling at each other, fighting for flashy cardboard rectangles.  But it didn't satisfy even my guilty pleasure of marvelling at crazy behaviour.  It's just the same thing over and over, in each city, year after year.  I'm sure that in previous years, I learned that lesson about how disappointing it is. But I forgot over the intervening year.  Ironically, that's probably why the shoppers keep fighting for bargains every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment