Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Do Carpenters Dream Of Wooden Sheep?

I just saw an ad for a portable table saw called the Bladerunner. I'm assuming they want to attract fans of the movie (they certainly couldn't be trying to associate themselves with Oscar Pistorius.) I don't see how that makes marketing sense; surely geeky people would use a 3D printer to make new parts, rather than old-fashioned ideas like cutting things.

However, despite the movie reference in the name, they went with a Caesar motif for the slogan, "I came, I saw." That would be applicable if it were called the "Cae-Saw" or something. But "Blade Runner" would imply a whole different set of puns:
  • Wake up, time to saw!
  • I've cut things you people wouldn't believe.
  • She won't sharpen, but then again who does?
  • You're looking through a DeWalt catalogue. You come across a full-page photo of a band saw
  • "More wooden than wooden" is our motto
Or you could just do a Black & Deckard joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment