Saturday, October 25, 2014

How Recklessly The Pages Are Filled

I often use CNN's web page.  No, I don't look for news there.  But if I'm having problems with my internet connection, I often use it as a reliable page to load to see if it's working.  Yes, I could use Google, but I often use it, so I can never be sure if it actually downloaded, or if my computer has just reloaded it from it's own memory. 

But today when my connection was being particularly difficult, I loaded CNN, and then realized that I did have one piece of news that I wanted to see: the score of tonight's World Series game.  That's one simple piece of information that lots of people will be looking for, so surely it will be easy to find.  I search through the boxes of headlines in different topics before I find the sports box.  And here's what I find:


Does it have the score? No.  It tells me that I can get a live blog of a couple of sports events that are now over.  It gives me headlines which, when severed from their article, don't mean anything.  It tells me about the PGA president and the Rays' manager, stories that have already been out for 24 hours.  And just to rub it in, it tells me the result of a Spanish soccer match, in a way that most Americans probably wouldn't have understood.  But this is how news gets presented on the Internet in ad-funded sites: an array of fragmentary headlines draw you to click further in to find the info you want. 

I wish postings on the internet could have useful, descriptive headings.  Anyway, thanks for letting me rant, I think that's enough for this post.  Now to think of an obscure song lyric pun to use as the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment