Thursday, March 20, 2014

NCC-420

I found several lists of theories about TV shows and movies. It's surprisingly fascinating. I’d heard some of them before, like the Gilligan's island characters representing the seven deadly sins, and Ferris Bueller being imaginary. But the new ways of looking at SpongeBob were new and disturbing concepts, even without being high.

So of course, I'd like to contribute my own pop-cultural mind-blowing theory. But give me some leeway, since mine piggy-backs on another.  You may have heard the speculation that the main characters of the original Star Trek represent the parts of the Freudian psyche.  That is, Kirk, Spock, and Bones represent the Id, Ego, and Super-ego, respectively.

That's interesting on its own, but here's my contribution.  It occurred to me that the same is true of Trailer Park Boys.  In this case, Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles represent the Id, Ego, and Super-ego, respectively.  Of course, you can just watch either of these shows, and think about the Freudian psychology of it, but it's better when you watch one show and think of the parallels with the other, with the pairings of Kirk-Ricky, Spock-Julian, and Bones-Bubbles.

But the real mind-blowing aspect is that because Star Trek takes place centuries in the future, you can say that Kirk, Spock and Bones are descendants of Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles, respectively. I'm not that well acquainted with Trailer Park Boys lore to explore this idea any further (Mr. Lahey as Khan?) so I'll leave it to others to extend it as they see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment