Thursday, March 13, 2014

...But Go Ahead And Discuss Religion

I realized recently: I hate talking about politics. That's quite a surprise. After all, the "politics" tag in the cloud in the margin is one of the larger words.

So why do I like writing about politics, but hate talking about it? For one thing, the discussions go rather differently. Generally people just state their opinion on things.  Fair enough, you've got opinions, but it doesn't really do anyone any good to hear opinions.  Unless you can give the reasoning behind them, opinions themselves are useless. 

Here in the blog, I try to take an even-handed view and not promote a political agenda. I do have such an agenda, but people promoting a political viewpoint are all too common, even outside of the Internet.  So instead, I'm trying to analyse things, taking a more objective look at the world.  But not many people talk about politics that way, so when the topic of a group discussion turns political, I cringe, and look for an excuse to get out.

I guess I don't mind talking about politics, but I hate people telling me their politics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment