Wednesday, March 4, 2015

It's All Hindi To Me

Sometimes learning requires effort.  Of course, that's how our schooling works.  But as adults, we realize that some learning works best without pressure.  It's better to allow learning to be more organic.  For instance, they say the best way to learn a language is not to take lessons, but to go to a place where the language is spoken, and immersing yourself in it.  Of course, that requires a fair amount of effort, but the point is that you're not being "taught" the language; instead you're absorbing it from around you.

So I've always wondered how long it would take to learn a language spoken around you if you weren't really trying.  It's not quite the same thing, but at the University of Waterloo, you overhear conversations in other languages frequently throughout the day.  I was disappointed that I didn't subconsciously pick up any knowledge.  I'd like to think that if humanity conquers all disease and greatly extends lifespans, that accidental learning will just be a part of life.  You'll be in your second century of university, picking up degree number fifty, when you suddenly realize you can speak Mandarin.

I'm trying this on much smaller scale, by watching coverage of the Cricket World Cup.  I'm hoping that just casual viewing will permit me to eventually understand what is going on.  I'm not totally clueless on the sport; I understand mainly what is going on.  But I'd like to understand something of the strategy, not to mention understanding the stats.  Most sports have, you know, a score.  But with one team batting at a time, they rarely give you any idea how the teams are doing.  I'm pretty sure this "run rate" thing can be used figure that out.  But I still don't know what is high or low in that field.  It would be nice if the commentators would throw us a bone now and then.  You know, "blah blah blah blah blah... and that's good."

No comments:

Post a Comment