Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Gutting It Out

I'm sick, and having trouble coming up with ideas to write about, but I'll try my best.

When did "gut" become a scientific term?  I can understand people using a term like "gut bacteria" trying to make the topic seem more accessible.  But now even scientific types are using it. 

I remember a kid in about grade two using the word "gut" to describe the stomach, and the teacher tried in vain to make him say something more sophisticated.  And now authorities are telling me to be concerned with my gut health.

On the other hand, the dancing bacteria on the American Express ad gets to go by its scientific name, Campylobacter jejuni.  And according to the Wikipedia article, it doesn't even look like the cartoon, grass skirt or not.  I was kind of disappointed in the article; often Wikipedia articles will have a section with a title like, "in popular culture," where they will list all the times the subject has been mentioned in books, TV, etc.  For instance, the entry on Albuquerque, New Mexico, solemnly tells you about Bugs Bunny's frequent references to it. So I was hoping that the otherwise esoteric entry on c. jejuni would have such a note about the ad, but no.

No comments:

Post a Comment